Academic writing is one of the most important skills and means that any student or scientific researcher must master. Scientific writing to know the most important requirements for sound academic writing. And to know the most important means used in it, and how to reach scientific goals through them. This article may be one of the guiding ways for the scientific researcher and graduate students, to enter the world of correct academic writing.
Academic writing is defined as that special type of writing. Which the scientific researcher relies on to write everything related to his academic activity. Following all the necessary requirements of sound academic writing. Academic writing is used in the formulation of research and scientific theses. As well as scientific papers issued by the scientific researcher. Where they are done in a specific and sequential order. To reach the most important goals of scientific research, by fulfilling the requirements of sound academic writing forms. Academic writing is one of the important skills that a scientific researcher must possess. Through which the scientific researcher can master the access to the form of scientific research with skill and professionalism.
At times like these, it can be a good idea to have a set of standard strategies for improving your writing. Familiar ones that you can use frequently and apply quickly as you carefully treat each article or chapter as if it were unique. Although each of us has his own way of improving his writing. Here I present to you what I claim are the seven best strategies to help you improve your academic writing.
- Write something well-defined: Many writing problems stem from two reasons, either to write too much on a single page. Causing the text to amplify beyond the journal's length limits (and end up not passing the review). Or to introduce distracting topics that cause the reviewer to skip them. And it is not clear whether the author was defending this or trying to do that.
- Simplify the search syntax: All articles in the social sciences must be eight thousand words or less, and the same applies to writing chapters. And the number of words may increase to ten thousand words.
- Write it down once and correctly: Nothing shakes readers' trust in a writer's text like repeating information; Academic readers are not like opera lovers. They don't want something that has been seen, written, summarized, and resold; So to take one good point and break it into small parts in your text is not a good idea.
- Try to re-layout the paragraph: As discussed in my separate blog post, this technique is great for helping you understand what you've written in the draft of your article or text. Rachel Kylie has a similar approach
- Make the motive more clear: Give readers a stronger idea of the reason for the research, the importance of the topic chosen, and how the results highlight important problems. Researchers who live with their subjects over months and years often end up losing track of why they started writing.
- Strengthen strong arguments: To maintain a good text standard, each paragraph should contain an argument that reinforces the text. Which may be literary citations, empirical evidence, or methodological data presented in the form of graphs or tables when writing citations, citations, or augmenting evidence for the text.
- Optimize your data and displays: This works on two levels. The first is at the general level, where it is important to design effective evidence that is presented in a consistent manner that follows the principles of good design. The second is at the level of each chart, table or graph.
- The first is the call to read more. I noted at the beginning of the article that a good researcher may not be a good writer. And that the reader may be able to understand high-level materials in his specialization without being able to write at the same level as what he reads. However, what was mentioned here does not mean that we should stop reading. But rather that we have to do a lot of it. And then reading will be not for the purpose of scientific gain and reading only, but for the purpose of learning to write. In this case, the reader will search for grammar, sentence construction and some expressions or conventions in the paper Scientific or research that he reads in his specialty. It is okay to specify the verbs, terms or idiomatic sentences that the student or researcher may encounter for the first time.
- The second matter is the interest in creating a personal dictionary. Where with simple requirements the student can create his own dictionary. To record terms, idiomatic sentences and other notes during the reading stage. This dictionary may be useful in certain times, an unimaginable benefit.
- As for the last thing, it is a call to establish centers or forums for linguistic activities and academic writing. In most universities, there are centers or forums for language activities that provide linguistic advice in writing articles and research. And even letters or university theses, and thus help in consolidating the university output. Linguistic and working on training individuals appropriately. In addition to updating the information of faculty members and researchers in the various linguistic fields, including the subject of academic writing. Often these centers organize workshops or groups for writing and reading and invite students to join in order to review.
There are many conditions that must be met, in order to obtain a sound academic writing that achieves the scientific goals. That’s are:
- Writing the original content: One of the most important things that a scientific researcher must take into account in academic writing. In order to be good and purposeful is that the writing be based on the original content. Which is free from all kinds of plagiarism or scientific transfer and adherence to all scientific ethical standards. And it is one of the most important requirements Sound academic writing.
- Writing without spelling errors: where the scientific researcher must check everything that has been written academically so that the scientific thesis is free of any grammatical or spelling errors and be careful not to make that important mistake. Which may seem small to the scientific researcher.
- Writing scientific references accurately: This is one of the most important things that a scientific researcher must take into account well. As scientific sources are one of the most prominent features of academic writing without other types of writing. And writing scientific sources carefully and carefully is one of the most important requirements for academic writing.
- And finally, academic writing according to the most important rules of scientific research known:
One of the most important requirements for academic writing is to take into account the rules and laws necessary for scientific research. In order to write properly and achieve the goals, in a correct and purposeful sequence. And with good documentation of all references. And books and resources that were used in academic writing. Also those were the most important information and conditions that must be available in academic writing. And the academic scholar must see it in detail and importantly. So that he can write a correct and good academic writing.
At the end, the writing academic process is not a difficult science, writing process is a skill that requires constant practice. With time, your students will get better with your help. As I mentioned earlier, the teacher plays an important role in the educational process and in improving students' writing skills.
You will be close to what you want to achieve with your students the moment you decide that you will take great responsibility for your students' writing abilities. Experiment with different stimulation techniques and instructions, and see what works best. You can and should make a difference.
Although what was mentioned above may not fully fulfill an important issue such as the issue of academic writing. This article may be a seed to invite interested and specialists to the need to make unremitting and focused efforts to start a clear program that supports academic writing from the initial stages of study upwards towards postgraduate studies Within a fixed and approved curriculum whose basis and pillar is training and practice.
Briefly, Academic writing is generally distinguished by the fact that they are used to achieve specific goals. Even if the goal is to amuse, express and delight oneself only. The scientific researcher uses a specific method of writing to address the scientific to these recipients and achieve the desired goals of academic writing. Which is to reach the scientific research from the point of the question and the scientific problem. To the point of reaching the desired or assumed scientific results in the form of scientific hypotheses in scientific research.
With greetings: Al - Manara Consulting to help researchers and graduate students